Skip to main content

"Gus, don't be exactly half of an 11 pound black forest ham"

Ok, so I have this disgusting tendency to dissect, massacre and choose the choice pieces of my food. I think that my family, friends and husband alike can attest to this. To name a few:



Picking out and eating every single yogurt covered cheerio in the box, picking out all the M&M's or chocolate pieces from trail mix, eating muffin tops and then picking the blueberries out of the rest of the muffin leaving a sad heap of crumbs (that I may or may not come back to), eating only the parts of the chocolate chip cookie that has chips in it, biting holes in raisin bagels where the raisins are and leaving the rest, eating the cookie dough out of the ice cream, taking bites out of truffles to see if I like them (from the bottom of course), and....well...you get the picture. Oh...well...one more thing...Katie (my sister) will never forgive me for sucking out all the creme from a whole bag of caramel cremes (bullseyes), and leaving the chewed up/spit out caramel in a lovely caramel sculpture on her bookshelf. I meant to remove it before she saw, but that's besides the point....


Sooooo where am I going with all this? Believe it or not, but I am about to use my food and gross habits in eating my food, to make an observation about myself.


Wait for itttttt, wait for itttttt!!


I think that I like to approach my life and how I grow in a rather "pick and choose" way. I like what's tastiest and easy, and like to leave behind or "get to the rest later" whatever is hard. In terms of something that I have to do (such as when I had schoolwork due or deadlines that I couldn't escape) I will get the hard done with so I can enjoy the "fun"...but when it comes to my heart. Woah. Me dealing with my heart can sometimes look like a bombed up half gallon of cookie dough ice cream. I like to dive in and deal with what is the easiest to manage and will taste good. But, there are issues I need to deal with in my heart that get left behind like the sorry vanilla ice cream with the meager amounts of chocolate chips.  Like so:








Example of this:


I'll pursue confessing general "easy" confessions that everyone deals with: The token confessions of pride. selfishness. impatience. etc. It's not that hard to tell people in a general sense what your sins are and ask for prayer. But heaven forbid, I be challenged to take those confessed traits and actually dig deeper into how they are affecting other people. How I am nurturing my idol of self by acting out sinfully, confessing it but not being humble enough or open hearted enough to actually kill sin and grow! Here's the thing. Choosing to eat the body and drink the blood of Christ leaves no option for buffets! I cannot be fully washed in His blood but only choose the parts of life that are pleasant. I can't only live like half of a new creation, for when Christ says He makes us into a new creation, He says the old is passed away (2 Cor. 5:17). There is no partaking in the easy parts of life, the blessings from the bless-er, and refusing to eat what is less pleasant (killing the flesh, dealing with "hard"). If I am to walk with Christ in my life, I need to take up my cross. I need to allow Christ into all of my life and heart, so that my new self can be continually sanctified. I must not waste a half gallon of cookie dough ice cream just b/c I am only craving cookie dough, and vanilla ice cream seems boring or undesirable. I must take each bite with whatever is in it and chew/swallow all of it. Just so, Lord help me to ultimately seek YOU, ALL OF YOU, and allow you to work in my heart for my good and your glory. Help me not waste parts of who you want me to be by not choosing to deal with my heart, my sins. Don't let me look only for the "pleasant" blessings, but help me to see your sanctification process, your Spirit's conviction, my times of suffering...as good and desirable blessings as well.


I'll leave this little probably-a-far-stretch-analogy with a really good quote:
"We prevent God from giving us the great spiritual gifts He has in store for us, because we do not give thanks for daily gifts. We think we dare not be satisfied with the small measure of spiritual knowledge, experience, and love that has been given to us, and that we must constantly be looking forward eagerly for the highest good. Then we deplore the fact that we lack the deep certainty, the strong faith, and the rich experience that God has given to others, and we consider this lament to be pious. We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts." -Bonhoeffer












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'M UGLY...BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING

I'm ugly....but it's a beautiful thing. :) Disclaimer 1: this is going to be raw.  Personal. Just warning you. Disclaimer 2: If you see a bunch of quotes or pictures from FLYLEAF lyrics, it's because for the last few months, I've been listening to them on my runs.  God has used a handful of the lyrics to really spur me on in digging deeper into my own heart.  No, they aren't super theologically deep, but I'm thankful for the thought their lyrics have provoked... Let me give you a few snippets of my background to flesh out the picture a bit. Most of my life, I have been one of two extremes: 1. Highly praised and favored or 2. Highly assumed, backstabbed or just...the recipient of mean . For number 1, the main things I have heard over and again:  "You're so encouraging, the most humble person I've met, sweet, kind, beautiful, fun..." ... For number 2, I won't go into details, but let's just say my trusting vulnerable hear...

The Endless Quest for Unity

  Definition of unity: 1a : the quality or state of not being multiple : oneness I have often struggled with the word “unity,” but I have been confronted with it over and again lately.   A few examples:  -Looking for it in the middle of a conflict with my spouse -Hearing it touted as the goal for America by government leaders -In issues of racism, unity is the cry of many.  -The church is called to be unified over and again in scripture I have struggled with the word unity as it just seems like this unattainable mountain when I look at it with my human eyes.  I think, because I want to “feel” something before I can be unified with something.  I want to make something happen, ultimately, justice, before considering unity.  I need to know that I can trust the person who is calling me to be unified in the area, or with person xyz.   Funny how you can know the truth for so long, but then one day, your “knowing” hits you in the face as ...

"But, Daddy..."

"But Daddy, I want it Noooooowwwww!!"  whines Veruca Salt throughout the Willy Wonka movie.  So obnoxious. So annoying.  So much wanting you to find your duct tape and slap it across her mouth.  Ugh.  But wait.  Isn't that annoying display a sign of discontentment?  Impatience?  Aren't I often struggling with discontentment and impatience?  I think Veruca was spoiled too, but I am not quite able to call myself that.  ;)  Anyway.  Patience.  I struggle to maintain it.  When I see something that needs to be done, or that could be done...I just want to do it.  If there is an event that I want to take place...it needs to be as soon as possible.  Sometimes, if I have a task in front of me, I literally can't "rest"...or choose not to...until it is accomplished. I was the kid who always got her new textbooks and instead of taking each day and lesson in order, in it's time...I'd immediately open the book and...